We’ve got big news! For one day only on #GivingTuesday on Tuesday, November 28, 2017, you will be able to use Facebook to start a Fundraiser for your Help Hope Live campaign. To take advantage of this limited fundraising opportunity, you must contact us for key instructions. Failure to notify Help Hope Live will exclude you from this offer. Here’s what you need to know…
What are the benefits of using Facebook Fundraisers this November 28?
- Facebook is waiving all fees for donations made to nonprofits on Facebook this #GivingTuesday.
- Starting at 8 a.m. EST (5 a.m. PST) on #GivingTuesday, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be matching donations to U.S. nonprofits made through Facebook while funds last (up to $1,000 per Fundraiser, $50,000 per nonprofit, and $2 million in total).
Do I have to participate?
Creating a Facebook Fundraiser on November 28 is completely optional. Questions to consider:
- Are you comfortable using Facebook?
- Do you have an engaged list of Facebook friends who will help support and share your Fundraiser for Help Hope Live?
- Are you aware that funds raised through Facebook may not reach your Help Hope Live campaign for 90 days? Read below: “How soon will the funds be available?”
If you choose not to participate, you can still enjoy our #tealdeal: we waive the credit card fee for all donations at helphopelive.org in your honor on November 28.
How can I get started?
1. Contact us to talk about your plans to participate
2. Spread the word about #GivingTuesday on Facebook
3. On November 28, at any point in the day, create a Facebook Fundraiser and select Help Hope Live as the beneficiary.
Create a Facebook Fundraiser by tapping Raise Money
Tap Get Started
Find and select Help Hope Live
4. Add to the Fundraiser page “in honor of [your full name]”
5. Add to the Fundraiser page the name of your regionally restricted fund (for example, a part of the Mid-Atlantic Liver Transplant Fund). You can find this information on your Help Hope Live Campaign Page)
Be sure to include your name and the regionally restricted fund name
5. Share the Facebook Fundraiser with as many people as possible!
6. At the end of the day, take a screenshot of your Facebook Fundraising dashboard showing the total amount raised through your November 28 Facebook Fundraiser.
Take a screenshot that shows the total amount raised on November 28
7. Email the screenshot to [email protected] with the subject line: Facebook Fundraiser
8. When the funds raised are made available to Help Hope Live, you will see a new entry on the List of Contributors via your Campaign Dashboard.
There are a few important guidelines you must follow to be eligible for this opportunity: You must contact us to express interest in this opportunity.
- You must be actively fundraising with Help Hope Live (at least one donation has been made in your honor)
- You must mention your name and your Help Hope Live regionally restricted fund on the Facebook Fundraiser page
Find your regionally restricted fund name at the top of your campaign page
- You must email a screenshot of the total funds raised to [email protected] within 72 hours of November 28
- If you do not send us your screenshot on November 28, we may ask you to verify individual donation amounts to ensure all donations were made on November 28
What happens if I do not follow these guidelines for Facebook Fundraising?
If you do not adhere to these guidelines, we cannot guarantee that funds raised through Facebook Fundraising will be available to help with your medical and related costs. Funds raised outside of our guidelines through Facebook Fundraising will still come to Help Hope Live, but those funds will benefit our General Operating Fund to help support our work and mission.
How can I find out if I am eligible for matching funds from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation?
Help Hope Live is not given any information about specific Facebook Fundraisers. All donations we receive through Facebook come to us as one lump sum. You will need to use Facebook’s reporting tools or contact the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation directly to for information about matching funds.
Will I be able to continue fundraising on Facebook after November 28?
You will not be able to continue fundraising on Facebook after #GivingTuesday. Funds raised through a Facebook Fundraiser for Help Hope Live after midnight EST on November 28 will be given to the Help Hope Live General Operating Fund and will not come to Help Hope Live in your honor.
Unfortunately, Facebook currently does not provide an avenue for fundraising that is fully compatible with our Help Hope Live administrative process. We will make this option available in the future when we can.
How soon will the funds be available?
Funds raised through Facebook are collected by the nonprofit Network For Good and then sent to Help Hope Live in a lump sum. Help Hope Live cannot control how long it takes for funds to arrive from Network For Good. Expect to wait up to 90 days for Help Hope Live to receive the funds you raise on November 28…
Help Hope Live has no control over matching funds from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. We cannot guarantee that any contributions made on Facebook will be matched, nor can we provide an exact timeline for when eligible matching donations will become available to Help Hope Live for medical and related expenses.
Will I be able to see who donated?
You will be able to see donor names and donation amounts through Facebook only. Once we have received and processed donations from your Fundraiser (which, again, may take up to 90 days), the funds will appear on your Help Hope Live List of Contributors as a single entry: Facebook Fundraiser. Make sure you carefully record the information you get on Facebook for sending out thank-you notes or other gift acknowledgements.
Does Facebook take a fee?
Facebook has agreed to waive their administrative fee for all donations made to charities on November 28. Other fees may apply, such as a Network for Good payment processing fee, depending on the donor’s payment method and other factors. Help Hope Live does not receive information regarding fees that occur through Facebook Fundraiser donations.
Does Help Hope Live take a fee?
Help Hope Live’s low 5% administrative fee will be applied to funds raised through Facebook.
Who should I contact if I have additional questions?
Email [email protected] if you have any questions about this opportunity.
We look forward to seeing your Facebook Fundraisers in action on November 28! Best of luck!